IDFA Online Learning
Practice Management: Loan Assumption Incident To Divorce
Recorded On: 03/07/2023
- Non-member - Free!
- Member - Free!
The recent rise in mortgage interest rates is leaving many divorcing homeowners asking, "Can I assume the current mortgage so I don't need to refinance and lose my lower interest rate?"
The correct answer is maybe, probably not, and it depends.
Join the Divorce Lending Association for another Divorce Literacy webinar and gain a better understanding of the assumption process and how it may play into divorce mortgage planning.
- What is a 'loan assumption' and can I assume the mortgage post divorce?
- What are my options if I can't refinance the existing mortgage?
- Is there an alternative to a loan assumption?
- Identify strategic solutions when integrating divorce mortgage planning into the settlement process.
Presented by Jody Bruns, President of the Divorce Lending Association
President & Founder, CDLP®
Divorce Lending Association
Jody Bruns is the President and Founder of the Divorce Lending Association and is credited with establishing industry certification programs for both real estate and mortgage professionals working with divorcing clients. Jody takes her knowledge further as an approved continuing education provider for multiple state bar associations and financial planning boards educating attorneys, financial planners, and other divorce professionals on the underlying concerns when divorce and real estate meet head-on.
Through her own personal journey of a divorce involving real estate, Jody knows firsthand the emotions divorce carries with it. Utilizing her own personal experience combined with her 30 plus years in mortgage and finance, Jody has made it her career and passion to educate the divorce community while helping divorcing clients navigate the clash between divorce, real estate, and mortgage financing.
Jody authored the Certified Divorce Lending Professional (CDLP®) and the Real Estate Mediation Specialists (REM-S) industry certifications along with a book, A House Divided | The Clash between Divorce, Real Estate, and Mortgage Financing.
Jody has coached and trained over 3,000 mortgage and real estate professionals on how to successfully work with divorcing homeowners; divorce attorneys, and other divorce professionals with the ultimate goal of a more successful divorce when mortgage financing and real property are involved.
- Certified Divorce Lending Professional (CDLP®)
- Certified Mediator/Mediator Trainer
- Licensed Real Estate Continuing Education Instructor
- Approved Continuing Legal Education Provider with multiple State Bar Associations
- Approved Continuing Education Provider with CFP Board and Institute of Divorce Financial Analysts
- Author: A House Divided | The Intersection of Divorce, Real Estate & Mortgage Financing